Ok, so a little bit more than a year, but hey it's been a busy year. I thought I would take the time out to look back and review the things we've done and also the thought process/evolution during the past year. In a lot of ways, that's part of the reason I blog, so I have a record of my thoughts and progress, but I've also noticed a few common things that tend to occur to people after they accept the eventuality of collapse. Just one thing I wish to get off my chest up front though, it really is never too late to start prepping. There are far too many people out there that will tell new doomers that it's too late, and they are incorrect, there are just far too many people, including myself, who started prepping even though we were told it's too late and have at least managed to give ourselves a good starting point towards being able to survive collapse.
I guess the best place to start is well, the beginning, December 2010. Right about as the fall semester was coming to a close I was hanging out on one of my preferred forums, an archery site and happened to see that Alex, who is the creator and owner of that forum had posted some pictures. They had a watermark with the site; sustainablecountry.com on them, and being a little more than curious I wandered on over and began to read. There I found a linked site, silentcountry.com, and I will admit to being a bit more than hesitant to click on it. SusCo has a slight doom underlayer, many of the posters there are admitted doomers though doom is saved for its sister site. It’s full of information on how to make oneself able to sustain your existence and many of the skills discussed have health and financial benefits. Even if you don’t wish to think about collapse, SilCo is a site that’s well worth time spent.
I should take a moment to clarify, we’re not talking right wing Glenn Beck type doom, no these people are generally speaking highly intelligent folks who have taken the time to analyze the facts and drawn their own conclusions. Collapse isn’t necessarily one belief, there are instead many different views on how it will occur and what will happen. Peak Oil is one of the most commonly discussed theories, the idea being that the amount of obtainable oil is running to a close, and is a broad enough topic that I will discuss it at a later time as it will need its’ own post. Economic collapse is another theory, and often contested between the idea that everything is going to collapse on itself and that those with the ability to will sustain the global economies for as long as they can continue to drain the lower classes. The third most discussed topic is change in climate/change in earth, yes that includes global warming, but also keeping an eye on weather patterns, earthquakes, solar flares, and other forms of natural changes.
After a few days on SusCo curiosity finally got the better of me and I clicked the link to SilCo, perhaps I’m being a bit dramatic, but it was like going through a mental block. For me it was like finding the answer to every question I’d ever had. For days I just soaked up information, reading about things I had wondered about for the past several years, reading opposing viewpoints to all of the things claimed by those in power, or better known as The Powers That Be [TPTB]. With much of the Mainstream Media [MSM], much of these opposing arguments are presented with a twist of making the people participating in the shows appear insane or are otherwise somehow presented as being eccentric.
To be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment